Skip to main content

Tourism

Pilipinas Tara Na! Logo
The Department of Tourism just launched the updated, expanded and probably more polished version of the 2004's tourism campaign, Biyahe Tayo (Let's Travel). Recorded by 57 of the country’s leading musical artists and entertainment personalities, the music video is just the first of three installments of songs and videos under this current campaign. While the video was mostly welcomed by most netizens, I know find myself (again) in an odd position. I expected more than a remake or a polish of an old campaign. After all the brouhaha of Pilipinas Kay Ganda and the hooplah of the current logo which looked like Batibot, I was still hoping they could somehow pulled it off. Something creative, new and innovative.

Don't Get Me Wrong

Before you stone me with Pan de Sal, I just want to make it clear that the video was good. Really! If you try to separate the video and the song from the campaign and it's horrible Batibot logo, it would really stand out. 57 music artists, that's a lot of talent there. I would probably give the video a 5-star rating if I own 5 stars.

Been There, Done That

So why all the negative comments? Ya heard of the line - polish a turd it's still a turd? Basically it means it's still the same. It's like the same old product with a new package. It's the same old idea with more stars. I don't know but I haven't read any blog posts about comparing the current music video to the last one. So far I've read this one guy's Facebook status that he prefers the original version the newer one. You know most part 2's don't do so well. The original version received such praise because it was the first time something like that was organized and recorded for a tourism campaign. Instead of focusing on how to get the attention of both local and foreign travelers to visit the Philippines you now have another problem which is trying to outpace the former with the later.



Creativity and Innovation

As I've said earlier I was expecting some kind of creativity and innovation. I believe DOT's got creative guys and gals within their fort but it seems they also too succumbed to the country's trend on advertising - entertainment. Instead of instilling people with an idea they go on to entertain, well with entertainers. Again, don't get me wrong most of these music artists are really good with their craft. It's just that it's now the trend these days. Why not create a video that both educates and inspire people to travel and at the same time maintain simplicity and elegance.



Let's Go

Anyway, if you like the video, well and good.  If you don't like the video, well deal with it.  If you're somewhere in between like me let's just enjoy the part where we like most.  Here's the latest video of the campaign Pilipinas Tara Na!  Enjoy.  You can hit the comments to have your say.

Comments

  1. The Morocco and Spain video by Mike Matas is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't streamed the video yet, but i'll do that tomorrow. But anyway, rumor is the new DOT sec is an ad man, so i hope it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I just read the news. I hope they'll do good this time. They should also fix their website as well. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Symbolism

Philippine Flag Symbolism Let's be honest now.  How many of you did not know behind the symbols of our national flag?  Just so you know, it is a fact that everybody lies.  Anyway, probably you are wondering why I am posting in such a nationalistic tone when independence day was almost three months behind?  Well, that makes us both.  A thought just struck me when I saw the commercial segment of Juan Time in discovery channel.

Parley

I'm pretty sure you've read James Soriano's infamous article " Language, Learning, Identity, Privilege " which garnered him mostly criticism from people who live in front of their keyboards netizens.  I know some of you are probably making or joining hate pages on Facebook, seriously, grow up. I have edited this post for the nth time because there are still thoughts and ideas that need to sink in.  Also, I made a decision not to post or react when I am angry or pissed.  Sure, I was pissed when I first read the article.  Who wouldn't be?  But I just officially turned 28 and I need to act, you know - civilized.  You've got filter the facts and try to address the issue on how personally you can change for the better as a person.  I only found two response articles via Twitter:  " Editing James Soriano " and " Coming Home to the Filipino Language ".  If you have any article or known any worth-reading article you can message me here or

Paradise

T he province of Bohol is one of the most visited places in our country. Foreign and local tourists alike flock to this " God's Little Paradise " to see it's nature, beauty, beaches and culture. I have a dedicated Bohol blog at Bohol Interactive to showcase the province through the community. Last January I featured Massimo Casal , a photographer now based on Indonesia but has his fair share of Bohol, his travel article and book project . Just last week, I got another heads up that he is currently on a new project, a " Photo Book on Bohol ". I get to see the amazing sights of Bohol both popular and the unexplored in his 39-page preview. Dive Bohol Massimo studied as an engineer. His work has given him the opportunity to travel around the world and particularly around Southeast Asia. Through his travels he has cultivated his love for photography. He also has great sets from Hanoi , Vietnam , Myanmar , Cambodia , Thailand , Taiwan , Europe and