Skip to main content

Thessalonica

Our Sunday service today was on 1 Thessalonians.  It's a book full of history, comfort and hope.  As we were breezing through the verses of chapter 1, I remembered Project Thessalonica.  The said project is to bring back the gospel to one of the places where the early churches and saints were established.  As the sermon went on I read on through chapter 2 and 3 and imagined what things were like during the time of Paul.  Though this city was a pagan city, after Paul founded the church but briefly left for Corinth because of persecution, the new Thessalonian believers were steadfast and continued in the faith.

Bringing the Church Back to Thessalonica

As a Christian, reading the pages of 1 Thessalonians and comparing it to its present state - it's like nostalgia.  It's like you've been in Thessalonica before where the early Christians lived, worked and pressed forward just like some us today.  Sure, they don't have the technology before but I believe the problems they face before are still kind of the same we are facing today.

This is such a place full of history found in the Bible and the letters to the Thessalonians are very encouraging as well. 1 Thessalonians is a book of comfort. Read the whole book (King James Bible) and count the number how many times the word "comfort" is mentioned. Also, this is where Paul detailed and nailed the rapture. Contrary to popular belief the rapture is not equal to doomsday or the end of the world. Get your facts right. Topics like this will be discussed in detail on Sixteen Eleven.

Visit the Project Thessalonica website for more information on how you and your church can help with the said project.  You can also use the image above to spread the word on this project. You can use the code below. The original image is 1388x416 in size.



Just change the relative height and width that would match your blog's sidebar like this:

Sample Widget

Visit also The Preaching of the Cross for very good Christian resources and updates.

Comments

  1. Hi! Thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving your insightful comments.  If I haven't posted it before, I might add your thoughts into it. 

    And thank you as well for this wonderful post, I don't read the Bible a lot but after reading this, I think I have to turn the page immediately to Thessalonians.


    Smiles,


    Andy @ wordsandpen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!  You're welcome and I'm glad this post sparked your interest on the book of Thessalonians.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Symbolism

Philippine Flag Symbolism Let's be honest now.  How many of you did not know behind the symbols of our national flag?  Just so you know, it is a fact that everybody lies.  Anyway, probably you are wondering why I am posting in such a nationalistic tone when independence day was almost three months behind?  Well, that makes us both.  A thought just struck me when I saw the commercial segment of Juan Time in discovery channel.

Parley

I'm pretty sure you've read James Soriano's infamous article " Language, Learning, Identity, Privilege " which garnered him mostly criticism from people who live in front of their keyboards netizens.  I know some of you are probably making or joining hate pages on Facebook, seriously, grow up. I have edited this post for the nth time because there are still thoughts and ideas that need to sink in.  Also, I made a decision not to post or react when I am angry or pissed.  Sure, I was pissed when I first read the article.  Who wouldn't be?  But I just officially turned 28 and I need to act, you know - civilized.  You've got filter the facts and try to address the issue on how personally you can change for the better as a person.  I only found two response articles via Twitter:  " Editing James Soriano " and " Coming Home to the Filipino Language ".  If you have any article or known any worth-reading article you can message me here or

Paradise

T he province of Bohol is one of the most visited places in our country. Foreign and local tourists alike flock to this " God's Little Paradise " to see it's nature, beauty, beaches and culture. I have a dedicated Bohol blog at Bohol Interactive to showcase the province through the community. Last January I featured Massimo Casal , a photographer now based on Indonesia but has his fair share of Bohol, his travel article and book project . Just last week, I got another heads up that he is currently on a new project, a " Photo Book on Bohol ". I get to see the amazing sights of Bohol both popular and the unexplored in his 39-page preview. Dive Bohol Massimo studied as an engineer. His work has given him the opportunity to travel around the world and particularly around Southeast Asia. Through his travels he has cultivated his love for photography. He also has great sets from Hanoi , Vietnam , Myanmar , Cambodia , Thailand , Taiwan , Europe and