Skip to main content

Fruitcake

Forever, Erma: Best-Loved Writing from America's Favorite Humorist

I never like to make generalities about people, but let's face it: People who love fruitcakes are "different."

I have never met a fruitcake baker in my life who didn't want to convert me to all that baked fruit. I can be standing in the baker's kitchen and announce without a trace of humor, "I do not like fruitcake. I have never liked fruitcake. I have sampled more than 10,000 species of fruitcake in my time, and it is my dream that I never have to sample it again," only to have someone put a slice in front of me and say, "Try it. This one is different."

Traditional Fruitcake - Photo by Wikipedia

Fruitcakes are not different. They all tend to be the same, each having an assortment of incompatible fruits and the distinction of weighing more than the stove they were cooked in. They defy all the culinary rules in the book. No one ever says, "This fruitcake is so light you don't know you're eating it." That is because the heavier the fruitcake, the better.

Another thing I hate about fruitcake lovers is they smile when their cake is rejected. I don't like people who do that. It's unnatural. I'd be more comfortable if they would just say, "Who asked you to eat this cake? It cost me forty-five bucks to make, and if it were up to me, I'd drop it on your ungrateful foot!" You can have respect for a person like that. But no, fruitcake lovers will stand by and watch you spit out the sample in your hand and say, "But isn't it moist?"

My mother is a fruitcake disciple. Every year since I've been old enough to hold a fork in my hand, she has tried to make a holiday conversion. Last Sunday, she opened her cake cover and there it was: 97 pounds of cooked fruit. "Doesn't that smell good?" she asked.

I said, "It smell like fruitcake."
She said, "I don't understand you. Your grandfather loved fruit-cake."
What has that go to do with me?"
"He loved you so. You were his favorite."
I watched her get out a small plate and knew what was coming.
"The pineapple alone cost six dollars," she said.
"I hate pineapple, Mother."
"It's Julia Child's recipe, and you like Julia Child."
I was tired of fighting. I opened my mouth, and she put in a slice of fruitcake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Symbolism

Philippine Flag Symbolism Let's be honest now.  How many of you did not know behind the symbols of our national flag?  Just so you know, it is a fact that everybody lies.  Anyway, probably you are wondering why I am posting in such a nationalistic tone when independence day was almost three months behind?  Well, that makes us both.  A thought just struck me when I saw the commercial segment of Juan Time in discovery channel.

Parley

I'm pretty sure you've read James Soriano's infamous article " Language, Learning, Identity, Privilege " which garnered him mostly criticism from people who live in front of their keyboards netizens.  I know some of you are probably making or joining hate pages on Facebook, seriously, grow up. I have edited this post for the nth time because there are still thoughts and ideas that need to sink in.  Also, I made a decision not to post or react when I am angry or pissed.  Sure, I was pissed when I first read the article.  Who wouldn't be?  But I just officially turned 28 and I need to act, you know - civilized.  You've got filter the facts and try to address the issue on how personally you can change for the better as a person.  I only found two response articles via Twitter:  " Editing James Soriano " and " Coming Home to the Filipino Language ".  If you have any article or known any worth-reading article you can message me here or

Paradise

T he province of Bohol is one of the most visited places in our country. Foreign and local tourists alike flock to this " God's Little Paradise " to see it's nature, beauty, beaches and culture. I have a dedicated Bohol blog at Bohol Interactive to showcase the province through the community. Last January I featured Massimo Casal , a photographer now based on Indonesia but has his fair share of Bohol, his travel article and book project . Just last week, I got another heads up that he is currently on a new project, a " Photo Book on Bohol ". I get to see the amazing sights of Bohol both popular and the unexplored in his 39-page preview. Dive Bohol Massimo studied as an engineer. His work has given him the opportunity to travel around the world and particularly around Southeast Asia. Through his travels he has cultivated his love for photography. He also has great sets from Hanoi , Vietnam , Myanmar , Cambodia , Thailand , Taiwan , Europe and